Sunday, July 2, 2017

Train Pals


I was reminded of the days when I used to travel to work regularly by train. I saw then that the same set of people traveled by the same compartment in the same train each day (well almost, don't expect me to spot them in a police lineup). Well imagine the train compartment meant to carry 50 seated passengers. It would carry a total of 150+ passengers. Some would be singing bhajans, some groups would be playing cards. Playing cards??? Yes..  Groups of 4 would be playing cards. Many times I would not be able to look at my watch because my wrist was somewhere else and not easily accessible. I would try to glance out of the window to see which place we were passing by and that would give me an approximate (+/- 3 minutes) indication of what the time was.

There was many a time when I had a hand in each of my trouser pockets. And then I would panic. Because one of my hands was holding the rod above for support. How then were TWO hands in my two pockets? Which hand was alien? Well in a few minutes I would get the answer. I would get off the train with only my hands, but with my wallet missing (or in case the pickpocket was a nice man, he would leave the wallet and some small change for me to get home).

Those were the days!

Incidentally I found that this Mary Hopkins song was copied from a 1967 Russian song.


 Published on

9/13/11, 11:56 AM
India Standard Time

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Annual Performance Review

  A Better Way to Evaluate Employees