Sunday, July 2, 2017

Crazy Guys Like Me

What is it about the blind colonel (Al Pacino) in The Scent of a womanJack Nicholson in As good as it getsTom Hanks in Forrest Gump? Their characters are so close to me.

I was watching Charlie Chaplin in Modern Times. He is a guy who not only has a funny walk but is a simpleton also - generally unfit for most things. Once he is incarcerated and the jailor tells him that he is being freed. Charlie is aghast and asks the jailor if he couldn't stay longer there, he liked it so much. Charlie had such a wistful expression on his face.. 

Later when working with a plank he hammers it and sends a docked ship, held in place by the plank, back into water - with other workers watching in shock.


Why do I like Charlie and Amol (the one in Choti Si BaatGolmaalNaram Garam etc) so much? Doppelgänger?

On to a  different subject... "Agar aulaad aise hote hain tho humein nahi chahiye aulaad" - Paresh Rawal in the movie Baghbaan. There is a small tree (should I call it a tall plant) outside my house. When I water the plants in my small garden I water the small tree outside also.. I call that tree Alok - the character in Baghbaan. Amitabh writes something in Baghbaan that gets an award.. Or so the theme goes. Very similar to the theme in Anand  in which as Bhaskar Banerjee he gets an award. Behind the award, behind his speech is the entire film (Anand).

Amitabh has acted with all the Khans. And I have seen him with SRK in Veer Zara with with Salman in Baghbaan. And he provided a voice over in Aamir's Lagaan (and Saif's Parineeta). Surprising,  I have seen all these movies and enjoyed each one of them.

Published on
1/13/17, 1:14 PM
India Standard Time

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Annual Performance Review

  A Better Way to Evaluate Employees