Sunday, July 2, 2017

Bhalo Theko Baba

I went to a shop today to buy some stuff. The security  guard standing outside was dressed rather decorously with a large cap - kinda like the guys doing the parade at Wagha border or like doormen in the higher class hotels.

The guy seemed like a Bengali to me from his features. I smiled at him and asked him in Bengali whether he was a Bengali. He replied "Na". I was surprised, usually I am good at spotting Bengalis. He said he was from Tripura, which is a close cousin of Bengal. People there speak the same language (Bengali). Bangladesh in fact is bounded on the west by West Bengal and on the east by Tripura.

For some reason, he opened the door at the entrance to the shop, did a formal namaste and continued in with me. I continued in Bengali with him, asked him whether he knew Bengali. He replied "han". I asked him whether he spoke Bengali (not the same as knowing / understanding Bengali). He spoke a longer sentence affirming. I asked him why his accent was different, that he wasn't speaking normal Bengali. He replied he was from Tripura and hence his accent is more Tripura's and closer to Banglasdesh's. 

When I was coming out, I met him again and asked him how long he has been in Chennai and whether he had eaten (lunch). He replied yes, he had eaten. I asked him his name was. Turned out he is Muslim. I was shocked. This month being Ramzan he is supposed to fast during day time. I asked him why he wasn't fasting. He said he had two jobs. Another job at night in a different establishment in the city. Obviously he couldn't fast

I was like huh?. Two full time jobs...? I had heard of this only in novels. Tough life for some people. Young guy so far away from home.

With a final "bhalo theko baba" I left the shop - thinking I don't do any work and eat twice as much as him perhaps.

Published on

6/25/16, 7:16 PM
India Standard Time

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Annual Performance Review

  A Better Way to Evaluate Employees