Sunday, July 2, 2017

Students Who Became CEO's

I read today about students who go on to become CEO's and it was heartwarming.

Some students do go on to do well professionally I suppose.

One of my college mates was a year junior to me. An unpretentious looking person he was and a loner. Like me. And about as interested in world affairs as I was (which meant he could tell you who the current Prime Minister of India was, if given 3 guesses).

And he was a guy who got a 95 or a 100 out of 100 in all in the maths courses in college. He was way ahead of any other person in maths in his batch of 300 odd students. These students were considered to be exceptional by Indian standards.

Most people (including me) were in awe of him. He and I were close friends and remained so until I graduated. After college, life took us different ways. (reminds me of the song, "Antha Naal Nyaabagam" from tha Tamil movie "Uyarntha Manithan"). And I had lost touch with him for the last 20 years.

I spent a lot of effort tracing him and then recently I got to know his number. I called him. Of course he remembered me. We caught up with each other's lives.

He also seemed to have led a very low profile professional life. We were not Indra Nooyi nor a Sabeer Bhatia.

But I do recall those days when we would sit down next to the railway tracks and watch the trains go by. Neither of us was ambitious. Both of us loved to watch trains. I am pretty sure, even today if we were to hear a train whistling we would both turn to see / hear it (very much like Rajinikanth and Srividya in Maniratnam's movie Thalapathi
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thalapathi, though for a very different reason).

Hmmm.


Published on

2/2/11, 10:44 AM
India Standard Time

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Annual Performance Review

  A Better Way to Evaluate Employees