Thursday, February 10, 2011

The Poet In Me

I had earlier written about my friend Jalani and the cooking disasters in the middle east (http://calmisc.blogspot.com/2009/08/cooking-disasters-in-middle-east.html). Three days back her mom left for India. And she as the temporary (fe)male head of the family has been given the additional portfolio of housework.

Of course the house is now in disarray. The cooking, washing, cleaning etc is not quite up to the usual mark.

She told me today that she had taken the day off and that her brother was sick and gone to see the doctor.

I was touched. I wrote a poem for her.

"
Haal kaisa hai janaab ka
Bhai gaya hai doc ke paas
Yunhi gaye kya oh oh oh
Pet mein dard hua ho ho ho


"

She loved it and I could hear her clapping her hands. I do feel good when I make someone happy. With due apologies to Majrooh Sultanpuri.

Ever since her mom left, I have made it a habit it to tell her the details of what I had for lunch and dinner (my mom is a great cook, by the way). Just so that she can have good food vicariously.

Despite all this, Jalani puts me down often. She has an attitude. She is arrogant and keeps taunting me about my finance, my job etc. She is perennially hungry and eats anything that she can lay her hands on.

I said to her:


"

Tumhare pas dhan hai daulat hai, job bhi

Mere pas MAAAA hai (aur unke haath ka banaya hua khana)

Hum dono ke beech mein jo deewar hai

USKO KHANA MAT

"
With due apologies to Salim Javed.

I feel relieved now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Annual Performance Review

  A Better Way to Evaluate Employees