Thursday, January 27, 2011

Tennis Tournament - Lower Cash Awards For Women Players

I was watching the Australian Open with my mom, when she suddenly quoted some magazine where some women tennis players had complained of a lower award amount paid out to women players than to men. 

My mom commented that it was only appropriate that women get lesser than men because they also play fewer sets. Women's matches are played best of 3 while men's matches are best of 5 sets.

I hmmmed and haawed and said that that may not be the primary reason. I explained to her.

Australian Open is another business venture. They organize the tournament, they pay out the prizes. Their income is from ticket sales and TV broadcasting rights. (This explanation is a little simplistic but probably adequate.)

Now where does the majority of revenue come from? Do people like watching women's matches more or men's? Either at the venue (which results in ticket sales) or on TV (which results in more advertisement revenue), I think people would prefer to watch a men's tennis match to a women's. And that I explained is the primary reason that the award being higher for men's champion than a woman's champion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Annual Performance Review

  A Better Way to Evaluate Employees