Friday, December 10, 2010

About Chennai

I was reading an article in the newspaper today
(http://www.hindu.com/fr/2010/12/10/stories/2010121050420100.htm) about women from Europe living in Chennai learning Indian dancing (an art that is more than 1000 years old).

It then struck me. How many Koreans, Europeans live here in Chennai. How often I have seen people with blonde hair shopping near my house or going for a walk. How many times I have seen a European woman bicycling with her child sitting in a baby seat in the back of the cycle.

In the last 15 years, Chennai (Nee Madras) has seen so many changes. I remember Elliots Beach which was far less crowded than it is now.

There used to be a time 40 years back when people from Madras went to Bombay, Delhi, Calcutta or to UK/USA etc in search of a living. Now I find so many people from north India living here. Especially the ones in the mid to late 30s who would hate to go back to their native places in north India.

And now we have people from outside India living here in Chennai and loving it here. Though I don't know any foreigner living in Chennai, I understand that they enjoy being here. 

Chennai has come a long way.

And what about India. Last month Mr Obama visited India and went back with $10 billion in business from India which apparently will create 55,000 jobs in the USA. Last week Mr Sarkozy visited India with his wife (whose hair color varied with occasion, I thought) and he went back to France with quite a few deals (aircrafts etc). (And he gave a speech in French which I was not quite able to follow; probably he doesn't speak French well.)

Of course India also would have benefited from these visits. Again I can't help but think that India too has come a long way. From that day in early 1990's when there was no foreign exchange left and India had to hock a couple of tons of gold to UK in order to get "working foreign exchange capital".

Hmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Annual Performance Review

  A Better Way to Evaluate Employees