Wednesday, December 15, 2010

A Cool Tablet Cum Phone

I had earlier mentioned about the changes in way we search and how we communicate. How Google and mobile phone have radically modified our lives. http://vbala99.blogspot.com/2010/10/google-search-and-mobiles-how-our-lives.html.

I have been reading about tablets and smartphones etc. But none of them has the features that I would love.

I expect this device (is it a tablet or a phone?) to have the features of a phone, have a good camera, it should be portable like a paperback book. It should be rugged like a phone. You just pick up a phone and go out, you don't pick up a laptop and walk out, not without a carrying case. Not especially if it's raining. And you would be worried about dust when you take a laptop to the park. You don't worry about using a phone in the park. 

So I want this device to be rugged like a phone. Have a battery charge that lasts 4 days comfortably, giving a talk time of 4 hours. 

And of course I should be able to edit MS Office documents in it, apart from watching videos/movies. Editing should be easy, note that the device may not have a keyboard. And it should be 8"-10" (20mm to 25mm) in size. 

Basically I want a tablet which I can use to work (edit) extensively with MS office documents, watch videos, have access to the net and also use as a telephone. It should be rugged enough that I can put it in my pocket take it to the park and work for a few hours without any strain. And it should have LONG battery life.

Whew, I think those are what I want. Not one of the phones /tablets seemed to cover what I wanted. Until I read about the Olive tablet today http://www.olivetelecom.in/laptop/olivepad/features.html. Some reviews are given in http://www.olivetelecom.in/laptop/olivepad/reviews.html

Some reviews have compared this favorably with the Samsung Galaxy Tab and the Apple IPAD. The latter two are far more expensive and apparently more stylish. Apple IPAD doesn't support flash nor MS Office documents.

Now this one tablet (based on the specifications seems to have all that I want). Sure the battery is not adequate, the RAM and hard disk and processor are inadequate. While it talks about a Doc Whiz for editing MS documents, I don't know how easy it is to use that.

Having said that, the Olive tablet seems to have all the features that I want. In another couple of years, they (Olive or someone else) will get the specs right. And my dream tablophone will be out there in the market. Yipeeee.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Annual Performance Review

  A Better Way to Evaluate Employees